Chemistry is the branch of natural sciences that studies matter, its composition, properties and reactions. It includes the “study, analysis, modification and calculation of physico-chemical or biochemical properties of matter. It is a broad field, which overlaps with other fields.
The core disciplines of chemistry are organic, inorganic, analytical, physical chemistry and biochemistry.
Chemistry is the foundation science for many industrial and agricultural processes that produce useful products that contribute to the quality of life. It impacts on human health – producing materials, developing methods and advancing knowledge towards improved health care, enhanced public health and safety, safe and affordable food supply, and a sustained wholesome environment. It is indeed a science of numerous opportunities.
The program aims to:
- Produce graduates who comply with the current qualification requirements for professional chemists for local and overseas employment.
- Prepare students for higher studies in chemistry and in other related fields.
- Equip the students with the ability to analyze and apply scientific principles in research undertaking.
A graduate of the program should be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad and coherent knowledge and understanding in core areas of chemistry as well as mathematics and physics
- Gather data using standard laboratory equipment, modern instrumentation and classical techniques
- Identify and solve problems involving chemistry, using current disciplinary and interdisciplinary principles
- Qualify for further study and/or for entry-level professional employment in the general workplace
Career opportunities IN THE GOVERNMENT
Career opportunities IN THE ACADEME
- Science High Schools
- Research Institutions
Career opportunities IN THE INDUSTRY
- Food and beverage
- Textile and cosmetics
- Oil and petroleum
- Mineral and metals
- Environmental analysis
- Chemical manufacture
ON THE JOB TRAININGS
MOCK BORD EXAMINATIONS
The College of Science aims to produce a fully functioning and excellence graduates who can perform the competencies under each of the Key Areas of Responsibility. To achieve the college goals and objectives, a Faculty Development Program is a critical factor towards building a strong foundation in the execution of the program to ensure quality education. The quality of education depends largely on the qualifications and competencies of the faculty, thus regular meeting, seminar-workshop, and evaluation is being conducted in the college and university level.
COLLEGE CHAIRPERSONS MEETING